Juljin recently became a dorf (whos beard is FAR superior to yours, no matter how many plaits you have, how good your moustache looks or how "fabulous" your hair is). He also switched servers, something I've never done before so as you may be able to tell, my server transfer was full of schoolboy errors.
1. Before you transfer, check the technical support forums - if there's complaints about characters taking days to become playable again leave it for a few days longer. You can spend some time getting your character prepared for their move.
2. Money, dont transfer with 19s 38c like I did. It just gets annoying, get on yer bank alt and take a few thousand over with you.
3. Repair before you go! Especially if you're transfering with only 19s 38c...
4. If you've made stuff for the character you're going to be moving (in my case, this was 20,000 arrows) make sure you actually send them to the character before you move them. My rogue is not gonna run outta ammo for his stupid stat-bow anytime soon but little beardy is running low!
5. Be a little patient, although if you're like me, this wont happen and you'll want it to happen like NOW!
Also, for those of you considering a faction transfer, remember you're hearthstone sets to the capital city of the faction you choose - it explains why I was like "what the fuck" everytime I hearthed and was stood in Ironforge with a very confused look on poor beardy's face...