Wednesday 19 January 2011

Trapzlol

I rolled my hunter halfway through TBC. I'd just started properly raiding and doing heroics on my rogue and I was actually fascinated by trapping. We had a hunter in guild at the time who was ridiculously good at it: Double trapping, Chain Traps, Kiting mobs to traps, Trapping a mob then kiting another. It was amazing to watch and so, after a Steamvaults run, I fired up the Create New Character page to make my hunter.

I levelled him very quickly. Much faster than a rogue or warrior and I actually had a lot of fun doing so. People say hunter levelling was/is boring but I really liked it. I changed my pets a lot and would go and explore Azeroth to find different, interesting looking beasts to tame.

I got to level 60 and entered Outland and this is where I got good at trapping. I dont want to toot my own horn but. Toot toot. I was pretty fuckin' good and it was great fun, much better than sapping or using the good ol' warrior CC - kill it faster than it kills you.

But now...trapping has become a joke. With a mage as a main (recently decided, no regrets) trapping feels like a polymorph but...without the sheep/pig/penguin/cat/monkey or my personal favourite, turtle. It's gone soft, the cooldown is shorter than the actual trap which means you dont have to kite it like you used to and with the new launchers, you just trap as soon as the tank tells you to.

Looking at the changes to CC, it seems blizzard wants us to use them which I'm all for but at the same time, they're just giving each class almost the same CC, it's like a little kid, seeing his older sibling with a new toy and going "I want that one." and Blizzard, is the soft-touch mother that buys it something similar the next day and it's getting pretty boring.

I mean, if you look at it, multiple classes have similar CC.

-Sap is still sap.
-Repentance is a much better version of sap, seeing as it can be re-applied.
-Polymorph is still polymorph
-Fear, when glyphed or talented or whatever the fuck it is, is a lot less unpredictable and is almost like a Warlock sheep - damage breaks it, etc.
-Hex is a shaman polymorph, on a longer CD and can take a few hits but if it doesn't get touched, it's just like sheep except, it's a frog.
-Trapping is a cold, ice-cube like version of polymorph.

Now, for some classes, the new CC's work. Hex is good, I like it actually as it fits a shaman but did they have to make it just another polymorph? It used to be an emergancy CC, with a short duration and long CD. I also dont mind Bind Elemental (and in all honesty, it should have been added since the start) for Shamans as it fits but the change to fear? I liked the idea of a warlock making things run in fear, not cower and shit it's pants waiting for you to kill Skull, Cross and whatever you want before it. The unpredictability of it made it risky to use but if you had to pull about 7 mobs, you'd use it because the risk could pay off.

But I suppose it's not just CC that's getting this done to it, a lot of spells are becoming the same across classes and it's more than likely just the evolution of a MMO.

Gone are the glory days of being good at trapping was the difference between Hunter and Huntard and for this, I /mourn.

No comments:

Post a Comment